Current:Home > ScamsEthermac|Holocaust museum will host free field trips for eighth graders in New York City public schools -Prime Capital Blueprint
Ethermac|Holocaust museum will host free field trips for eighth graders in New York City public schools
Algosensey View
Date:2025-04-06 14:34:08
NEW YORK (AP) — A Holocaust museum in New York City will offer free educational field trips to eighth grade students in public schools in a program announced Thursday aimed at combating antisemitism.
The Ethermacprogram will allow up to 85,000 students at traditional public schools and charter schools to tour Manhattan’s Museum of Jewish Heritage over the next three years, starting this fall. New York City is the largest school district in the nation, serving more than a million students. Organizers say the museum and the new program have the capacity to host up to one-third of the district’s eighth graders each year.
City Council member Julie Menin said she raised the idea with the museum after the Oct. 7 Hamas attacks on Israel, in an effort to combat rising antisemitism in the U.S. Incidents targeting Jewish and Muslim Americans have been recorded across the country since the Israel-Hamas war erupted, ranging from offensive graffiti to violence.
“We needed a proactive approach to combat this hatred at its roots,” Menin, a Democrat and daughter of a Holocaust survivor, said in a statement. “That’s why I approached the Museum of Jewish Heritage with the vision of a universal field trip program.”
The effort will cost around $2.5 million, with $1 million coming from the Gray Foundation, a nonprofit backed by Blackstone CEO Jon Gray that funds other programs for New York youths, as well as cancer research. Menin said the museum will look to other sources for the rest.
The museum already offers student discounts and free admission days. The new program will cover transportation, guides and take-home materials for the eighth graders, Menin said.
The tours will focus on the global history of antisemitism and propaganda that precipitated the Holocaust, as well as offering an experience for students to reflect on current events, Menin’s statement said.
Principals will play a key role in deciding which schools will participate in the program, Menin said in a phone call. Schools can sign up through the museum website.
New York City Public Schools spokesperson Nathaniel Styer said in a statement that “programming is a school-based decision, but the funding in this announcement will help remove barriers to participation.”
In testimony before U.S. Congress earlier this month, New York City Schools Chancellor David Banks said the city had already begun rolling out new measures to combat antisemitism in schools, including developing a new curriculum “highlighting the culture and contributions of the Jewish community.”
New York schools are required to teach about the Holocaust, with explicit curriculum covering the subject beginning in eighth grade.
veryGood! (6)
Related
- Warm inflation data keep S&P 500, Dow, Nasdaq under wraps before Fed meeting next week
- At 17 years old, he was paralyzed from the waist down. 3 years later, he competed in a marathon.
- Where Kyle Richards and Mauricio Umansky Stand One Year After Their Breakup
- US deports 116 Chinese migrants in first ‘large’ flight in 5 years
- House passes bill to add 66 new federal judgeships, but prospects murky after Biden veto threat
- FBI investigates vandalism at two Jewish cemeteries in Cincinnati
- Cheez-It partners with Hidden Valley Ranch to create new zesty, cheesy snack
- 1 man hurt when home in rural Wisconsin explodes, authorities say
- SFO's new sensory room helps neurodivergent travelers fight flying jitters
- Caitlin Clark, Angel Reese headline WNBA All-Star team that will face US Olympic squad
Ranking
- Costco membership growth 'robust,' even amid fee increase: What to know about earnings release
- Love and Marriage: Huntsville Star KeKe Jabbar Dead at 42
- Judge dismisses federal lawsuit over West Virginia prison and jail conditions
- Rudy Giuliani disbarred in New York for spreading falsehoods about 2020 election
- The FTC says 'gamified' online job scams by WhatsApp and text on the rise. What to know.
- Love and Marriage: Huntsville Star KeKe Jabbar Dead at 42
- Travis Kelce Shares Golden Rule for Joining Taylor Swift on Stage at Eras Tour
- Flavor Flav teams up with Red Lobster to create signature meal: See the items featured
Recommendation
Finally, good retirement news! Southwest pilots' plan is a bright spot, experts say
Bronny James says he can handle ‘amplified’ pressure of playing for Lakers with his famous father
'Y'all this is happening right now at the Publix': Video shows sneaky alligator hiding under shopping carts
Cheez-It partners with Hidden Valley Ranch to create new zesty, cheesy snack
Taylor Swift makes surprise visit to Kansas City children’s hospital
Travis Kelce Reveals How He Ended Up Joining Taylor Swift on the Eras Tour Stage
Illinois man sentenced to life in prison for his role in 2020 killings of his uncle, 2 others
Pet food recall: Viva Raw cat and dog products could carry listeria risk