Current:Home > ContactSignalHub-Prosecutors accuse rapper YNW Melly of witness tampering as his murder retrial looms -Prime Capital Blueprint
SignalHub-Prosecutors accuse rapper YNW Melly of witness tampering as his murder retrial looms
Fastexy View
Date:2025-04-06 19:09:00
FORT LAUDERDALE,SignalHub Fla. (AP) — Florida prosecutors have charged rapper YNW Melly with witness tampering ahead of his retrial on double murder charges even as his attorneys accused them of conspiring to hide evidence that the lead detective may have lied in a related investigation.
Prosecutors charged Melly this week with making sure a key witness didn’t testify at his first murder trial, which ended in July with a hung jury that voted 9-3 for conviction. Jury selection in the retrial of the 24-year-old rapper is set to start next week with opening statements anticipated in early November.
Prosecutors said in documents released late Wednesday that Melly is with the Bloods street gang. They say he used phone calls made by other jail inmates at his request and letters passed between them to get messages to Blood members on the streets. Those members successfully made sure a the key witness didn’t testify, prosecutors say.
James Benjamin, Melly’s attorney, told The Associated Press the tampering charges “are clearly retaliation” after he and law partner Daniel Aaronson accused Broward County State Attorney Harold Pryor “and his underlings” of a coverup.
He said Pryor, lead prosecutor Kristine Bradley and others conspired to hide that the lead detective in the murder investigation had been accused by a prosecutor in their office of asking another law enforcement officer to lie in a related case. They have asked Circuit Judge John Murphy to dismiss the charges or, at the least, assign new prosecutors from outside the county as they plan to call Pryor and others from his office as witnesses. A hearing on those motions is planned Friday.
Melly faces a possible death sentence if convicted of first-degree murder in the 2018 slayings of two childhood friends, Christopher “YNW Juvy” Thomas and Anthony “YNW Sakchaser” Williams. Their stage names all include “YNW” because they belonged to the same hip-hop collective. It stands for “Young New Wave” or another phrase that includes a racial slur.
Prosecutors say Melly, after a late-night recording session, shot Thomas and Williams inside an SUV and he and Cortlen “YNW Bortlen” Henry then tried to make it look like a drive-by shooting. Melly, whose legal name is Jamell Demons, remains jailed without bond. Melly’s biggest hit, “Murder on My Mind,” reached No. 14 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart in 2019.
Meanwhile, Benjamin and Aaronson have alleged in court documents that Bradley failed to tell them that the lead detective, Mark Moretti of the Miramar Police Department, had been accused by one of her colleagues of asking a Broward sheriff’s deputy to lie. Moretti and that deputy have denied Assistant State Attorney Michelle Boutros’ claim.
Aaronson wrote in a court motion, “The only remedy is dismissal and let him (Melly) free.”
According to a transcript, Boutros said in a deposition last week that she was assigned last year to investigate Melly’s mother, Jamie King, for possible witness tampering. The mother was never charged.
As part of her investigation, Boutros brought King in for an interview with her attorney. Moretti was present, along with a deputy. She knew Moretti had a search warrant to seize King’s cellphone, but Boutros expected him to serve it when she wasn’t present — a standard procedure to prevent a case’s prosecutor from being called as a witness if something goes awry.
Boutros said Moretti was questioning King and grew frustrated with her answers. At some point, the observing deputy left, Boutros said.
Suddenly during the interview and with no deputy present to witness the service, Moretti gave King the warrant and tried to grab her phone, Boutros said.
“There is almost like a scuffle” between Moretti and King before he got it, Boutros said. The interview soon concluded and King and her attorney left. Another deputy, Adam Gorel, entered the room.
Boutros said Moretti told Gorel that if anyone asked, “You need to say you were here when I served the search warrant.” She said Gorel didn’t reply.
Boutros said she reported Moretti’s alleged statement to Pryor and her direct bosses and withdrew from the investigation, saying she couldn’t work with the detective. She said Bradley, Melly’s prosecutor, was informed.
She said that under the rules of evidence, she believes Bradley needed to tell Melly’s attorneys about her accusation because it could impeach Moretti’s credibility. She also reported Moretti to Miramar Police Department’s internal affairs unit. She said Moretti told investigators he was joking — something she said wasn’t true.
Boutros said that only last month, two months after Melly’s first trial, she learned his attorneys were never told about her accusation. She said she again contacted her supervisors and only then were his attorneys informed.
Miramar’s internal affairs department recently cleared Moretti of wrongdoing after Gorel told investigators the detective only asked for his name and identification number. He said Moretti never asked him to lie.
veryGood! (58519)
Related
- How to watch the 'Blue Bloods' Season 14 finale: Final episode premiere date, cast
- Are banks, post offices, UPS and FedEx open on Election Day? Here's what we know
- Manslaughter charges dropped in a man’s death at a psychiatric hospital
- New York's decision to seize, euthanize Peanut the Squirrel is a 'disgrace,' owner says
- Head of the Federal Aviation Administration to resign, allowing Trump to pick his successor
- 'Melt away' your Election Day stress: Puppy-cuddling events at hotels across the US on Nov. 5
- Ethan Slater Says Ariana Grande Is “Amazing” for This Specific Reason
- After surprising start, Broncos show they're still far from joining AFC's contender class
- Why members of two of EPA's influential science advisory committees were let go
- Mexico’s National Guard kills 2 Colombians and wounds 4 on a migrant smuggling route near the US
Ranking
- Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
- Americans say they're spending less, delaying big purchases until after election
- A former Six Flags park is finally being demolished after Hurricane Katrina’s devastation
- Search for 4 missing boaters in California suspended after crews find 1 child dead and 1 alive
- Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
- Johnny Depp’s Lawyer Camille Vasquez Reveals Why She “Would Never” Date Him Despite Romance Rumors
- Grimes Trolls Ex Elon Musk With Comment About Dating Guys Interested in Outer Space
- Why the NBA Doesn't Have Basketball Games on Election Day
Recommendation
Romantasy reigns on spicy BookTok: Recommendations from the internet’s favorite genre
New York Philharmonic fires two players after accusations of sexual misconduct and abuse of power
Who's hosting 'SNL' after the election? Cast, musical guest, how to watch Nov. 9 episode
Freddie Prinze Jr. Reveals How He and Sarah Michelle Gellar Avoid BS Hollywood Life
At site of suspected mass killings, Syrians recall horrors, hope for answers
Severe storms, tornadoes rock Oklahoma; thousands remain without power: Updates
Severe storms, tornadoes rock Oklahoma; thousands remain without power: Updates
JonBenét Ramsey Docuseries Investigates Mishandling of Case 28 Years After Her Death