Current:Home > StocksProsecutors in Trump classified documents case seek to bar him from making statements that "endangered law enforcement" -Prime Capital Blueprint
Prosecutors in Trump classified documents case seek to bar him from making statements that "endangered law enforcement"
Surpassing View
Date:2025-04-06 14:23:18
Federal prosecutors on Friday asked the judge overseeing the classified documents case against Donald Trump to bar the former president from public statements that "pose a significant, imminent, and foreseeable danger to law enforcement agents" participating in the prosecution.
The request to U.S. District Judge Aileen Cannon follows a false claim by Trump earlier this week that the FBI agents who searched his Mar-a-Lago estate in August 2022 were "authorized to shoot me" and were "locked & loaded ready to take me out & put my family in danger."
The presumptive Republican presidential nominee was referring to the disclosure in a court document that the FBI, during the search, followed a standard use-of-force policy that prohibits the use of deadly force except when the officer conducting the search has a reasonable belief that the "subject of such force poses an imminent danger of death or serious physical injury to the officer or to another person."
The policy is routine and meant to limit the use of force during searches. Prosecutors noted that the search was intentionally conducted when Trump and his family were away and was coordinated with the Secret Service. No force was used.
Prosecutors on special counsel Jack Smith's team said in court papers late Friday that Trump's statements falsely suggesting that federal agents "were complicit in a plot to assassinate him" expose law enforcement — some of whom prosecutors noted will be called as witnesses at his trial — "to the risk of threats, violence, and harassment."
"Trump's repeated mischaracterization of these facts in widely distributed messages as an attempt to kill him, his family, and Secret Service agents has endangered law enforcement officers involved in the investigation and prosecution of this case and threatened the integrity of these proceedings," prosecutors told Cannon, who was nominated to the bench by Trump.
"A restriction prohibiting future similar statements does not restrict legitimate speech," they said.
Defense lawyers have objected to the government's motion, prosecutors said. An attorney for Trump didn't immediately respond to a message seeking comment Friday night.
Attorney General Merrick Garland earlier this week slammed Trump's claim as "extremely dangerous." Garland noted that the document Trump was referring to is a standard policy limiting the use of force that was even used in the consensual search of President Joe Biden's home as part of an investigation into the Democrat's handling of classified documents.
Trump faces dozens of felony counts accusing him of illegally hoarding at his Mar-a-Lago estate in Palm Beach, Florida, classified documents that he took with him after he left the White House in 2021, and then obstructing the FBI's efforts to get them back. He has pleaded not guilty and denied wrongdoing.
It's one of four criminal cases Trump is facing as he seeks to reclaim the White House, but outside of the ongoing New York hush money prosecution, it's not clear that any of the other three will reach trial before the election.
- In:
- Classified Documents
- Donald Trump
- Mar-a-Lago
veryGood! (66)
Related
- Elon Musk's skyrocketing net worth: He's the first person with over $400 billion
- Mayor Eric Adams sues 17 charter bus companies for $700 million for transporting asylum seekers to NYC
- Nepal bars citizens from going to Russia or Ukraine for work, saying they are recruited as fighters
- Alabama judge puts a temporary hold on medical marijuana companies
- Why members of two of EPA's influential science advisory committees were let go
- With 2024 being a UK election year, the opposition wants an early vote. PM Rishi Sunak is in no rush
- Atlanta Braves rework contract with newly acquired pitcher Chris Sale
- Judge denies change of venue motion in rape trial of man also accused of Memphis teacher’s killing
- Military service academies see drop in reported sexual assaults after alarming surge
- Stylish & Useful Outdoor Essentials for Those Trying to Get Out More This Year
Ranking
- Questlove charts 50 years of SNL musical hits (and misses)
- Alabama judge puts a temporary hold on medical marijuana companies
- Israeli man indicted for impersonating a soldier and stealing weapons after joining fight against Hamas
- Benny Safdie confirms Safdie brothers split, calls change with brother Josh 'natural progression'
- Mets have visions of grandeur, and a dynasty, with Juan Soto as major catalyst
- North Korea’s Kim orders increased production of mobile launch vehicles as tensions grow with US
- Navajo Nation charges 2 tribal members with illegally growing marijuana as part of complex case
- WTF is a bitcoin ETF?
Recommendation
IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
Kia EV9, Toyota Prius and Ford Super Duty pickup win 2024 North American SUV, car and truck awards
Federal appeals court denies effort to block state-run court in Mississippi’s majority-Black capital
UC Berkeley walls off People’s Park as it waits for court decision on student housing project
Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
How hundreds of passengers escaped a burning Japan Airlines plane: I can only say it was a miracle
Fire at home of Dolphins' star Tyreek Hill was accidental. Fire marshal reveals cause
What’s Going On With the Goats of Arizona