Current:Home > ContactMassachusetts governor says deals have been reached to keep some threatened hospitals open -Prime Capital Blueprint
Massachusetts governor says deals have been reached to keep some threatened hospitals open
Chainkeen View
Date:2025-04-06 16:35:08
BOSTON (AP) — Massachusetts Gov. Maura Healey announced Friday that deals have been reached in principle to transition operations at four hospitals operated by Steward Health Care to new operators.
The Healey administration will take control of a fifth hospital through eminent domain to help transition it to a new owner. The Dallas-based company announced its bankruptcy May 6.
Two other Steward-operated hospitals are still set to close by the end of the month.
New operators have been found for Saint Anne’s Hospital in Fall River, Good Samaritan Medical Center in Brockton, the Holy Family Hospitals in Methuen and Haverhill, and Morton Hospital in Taunton, Healey said.
The state will take over control of Saint Elizabeth’s Hospital in Boston to help keep the hospital open until the transition to a new owner is complete, Healey said.
“Today, we are taking steps to save and keep operating the five remaining Steward Hospitals, protecting access to care in those communities and preserving the jobs of the hard-working women and men who work at those hospitals,” Healey said in a statement.
“Our administration is going to seize control of Saint Elizabeth’s through eminent domain so that we can facilitate a transition to a new owner and keep this hospital open,” she added.
If the deals are finalized, Lawrence General Hospital will become the new operator for both campuses of Holy Family in Haverhill and Methuen. Lifespan would assume operations of Morton and Saint Anne’s, and Boston Medical Center would take over Good Samaritan, as well as Saint Elizabeth’s after the taking process is complete, Healey said.
The actions do not impact the planned closings of Carney Hospital in Boston and Nashoba Valley Medical Center in Ayer.
Steward announced its bankruptcy May 6 and two days later said it planned to sell off the 30 hospitals it operates nationwide
A bankruptcy judge last month allowed Steward’s decision to close two Massachusetts hospitals. Steward announced July 26 its plan to close the hospitals — Carney Hospital and Nashoba Valley — on or around Aug. 31 because it had received no qualified bids for either facility.
Massachusetts has also agreed to provide about $30 million to help support the operations of the hospitals that are being turned over to new owners. The payments are advances on Medicaid funds that the state owes Steward.
veryGood! (2259)
Related
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- Is Caleb Williams playing in the Holiday Bowl? USC QB's status for matchup vs. Louisville
- Man City inspired by world champion badge to rally for 3-1 win at Everton. Rare home win for Chelsea
- YouTuber helps find man missing since 2013, locates human remains in Missouri pond: Police
- 'As foretold in the prophecy': Elon Musk and internet react as Tesla stock hits $420 all
- The New York Times sues ChatGPT creator OpenAI, Microsoft, for copyright infringement
- Pope Francis blasts the weapons industry, appeals for peace in Christmas message
- Travis Kelce Shares How He Plans to Shake Off Chiefs' Embarrassing Christmas Day Loss
- North Carolina trustees approve Bill Belichick’s deal ahead of introductory news conference
- Colorado man sentenced in Nevada power plant fire initially described as terror attack
Ranking
- 'Vanderpump Rules' star DJ James Kennedy arrested on domestic violence charges
- The Excerpt podcast: 2023 in Music - Taylor Swift, Beyoncé and More
- A legendary Paris restaurant reopens with a view of Notre Dame’s rebirth and the 2024 Olympics
- Barbra Streisand says she's embracing sexuality with age: 'I'm too old to care'
- Most popular books of the week: See what topped USA TODAY's bestselling books list
- How a construction worker impaled on the job was saved by EMS workers
- Mbongeni Ngema, South African playwright and creator of 'Sarafina!,' has died at 68
- Michigan Supreme Court rejects bid to keep Trump off 2024 primary ballot
Recommendation
Jamie Foxx gets stitches after a glass is thrown at him during dinner in Beverly Hills
Actors, musicians, writers and artists we lost in 2023
North Korea’s Kim vows to bolster war readiness to repel ‘unprecedented’ US-led confrontations
New Orleans landlord gifts tenants 1 month of free rent for holidays: Better than Santa Claus
John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
Blue Jackets' Zach Werenski leaves game after getting tangled up with Devils' Ondrej Palat
Taylor Swift fan died of heat exhaustion during Rio concert, officials report
Texas has arrested thousands on trespassing charges at the border. Illegal crossings are still high