Current:Home > ScamsColorado newspaper copies stolen from stands on same day a rape report is released -Prime Capital Blueprint
Colorado newspaper copies stolen from stands on same day a rape report is released
Oliver James Montgomery View
Date:2025-04-06 14:39:14
Almost all the copies of a small-town Colorado newspaper were stolen from racks. The theft took place on the same day the paper was releasing a story about reported sexual assault at the local police chief’s house during a late-night underage party in May 2023.
The Ouray County Plaindealer said the newspapers on all but one of their newspaper racks across Ridgway, Colorado were stolen, on Thursday.
"It's pretty clear that someone didn't want the community to read the news this week," the paper wrote.
Owner and publisher Mike Wiggins promised to get to the bottom of the theft.
"Someone didn't like this edition of @ocplaindealer. (Guess which article.) So they stole nearly every newspaper out of our racks in Ouray County. If you hoped to silence or intimidate us, you failed miserably. We'll find out who did this. And another press run is imminent," Wiggins said in a post on X, formerly Twitter.
On Friday, the Ouray County Sheriff's Office said a man had been cited for the theft of the newspapers.
The Plaindealer reported that Paul Choate, 41, admitted to police that he stole more than 200 copies of the paper. Choate returned the newspapers to the publisher on Thursday evening, with an apology, the paper reported.
"The suspect is not a member or relative of local law enforcement and not associated with the defendants in the recent reported sexual assault," the sheriff's office said.
Sexual assault allegation against police chief's stepson and two others
The front-page report that was featured in the stolen newspaper reported on allegations made by a 17-year-old that alleged she was raped multiple times during a party with Chief Wood's stepson and two other suspects at his home.
The Colorado Bureau of Investigation is investigating the allegations. In a press release, CBI said three individuals were arrested in connection to the sexual assault allegations, one minor who was not named, and Gabriel Trujillo, 20, and Ashton Whittington, 18.
Since the case involves a minor, CBI said the arrest warrants have been sealed. However, despite being a minor at the time of the incident, the Plaindealer said they chose to name the chief's stepson "because of the severity of the allegations." The incident took place on May 14, 2023, and the stepson would have turned 18 a few days later, the Plaindealer reported.
According to the report, the victim told investigators that she screamed and fought back as people slept upstairs.
The Plaindealer reported that the 17-year-old told investigators the party involved drugs, and drinking. She said she had gone in and out of consciousness and was raped at least three times by two different people in a bedroom and bathroom.
Chief Wood did not respond to USA TODAY's request for comment on the theft and the allegations.
veryGood! (836)
Related
- Civic engagement nonprofits say democracy needs support in between big elections. Do funders agree?
- Coach Outlet Just Dropped the Price on This $250 Bestselling Crossbody Bag to $79
- Sephora 24-Hour Flash Sale: 50% Off Tula, First Aid Beauty, Bobbi Brown, and More
- Adam Levine Reveals If His and Behati Prinsloo's Daughters Will Follow in His Rockstar Footsteps
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- Remains of Indiana soldier killed during World War II identified
- Savannah Chrisley Shares How She's Avoiding Negativity Amid Parents Todd and Julie's Prison Stay
- Russia and Ukraine accuse each other of attempted drone attacks on capitals Moscow and Kyiv
- McConnell absent from Senate on Thursday as he recovers from fall in Capitol
- More children than ever displaced and at risk of violence and exploitation, U.N. warns
Ranking
- See you latte: Starbucks plans to cut 30% of its menu
- Prince Harry Slams Royal Institution for Allegedly Withholding Information From Him on Phone Hacking
- South Africa moves to let Putin attend BRICS summit despite ICC arrest warrant over Ukraine war
- South Africa moves to let Putin attend BRICS summit despite ICC arrest warrant over Ukraine war
- The Daily Money: Spending more on holiday travel?
- At least 288 killed, 850 injured in India train derailment
- Sephora 24-Hour Flash Sale: 50% Off Tula, First Aid Beauty, Bobbi Brown, and More
- Don’t Miss Jaw-Dropping GHD Hair Tool Deals: Dryers, Curling Irons, Flat Irons, Hot Brushes, and More
Recommendation
Travis Hunter, the 2
Microsoft president Brad Smith on real concern about Chinese malware targeting critical infrastructure
Why These Photos of Euphoria's Jacob Elordi Have the Internet Buzzing
Lounge Underwear 60% Off Sale: If You Have Big Boobs, These Are the 32 Size-Inclusive Styles You Need
Retirement planning: 3 crucial moves everyone should make before 2025
Britain's Princess Eugenie gives birth to baby boy
South Africa moves to let Putin attend BRICS summit despite ICC arrest warrant over Ukraine war
Why does North Korea want a spy satellite so badly, and what went wrong with its attempt to launch one?