Current:Home > MarketsRekubit-Live Updates: Morocco struggles after rare, powerful earthquake kills and injures scores of people -Prime Capital Blueprint
Rekubit-Live Updates: Morocco struggles after rare, powerful earthquake kills and injures scores of people
Oliver James Montgomery View
Date:2025-04-06 19:35:10
Follow live updates of a deadly,Rekubit powerful earthquake that struck Morocco, killing more than 1,000 people and causing widespread damage in and around the city of Marrakesh.
WHAT TO KNOW:
— Morocco shaken by 6.8-magnitude earthquake; more than 1,000 dead
— Morocco’s African Cup qualifier postponed because of quake
— A look at the deadliest quakes in the last 25 years
ISRAEL PREPARES TO SEND HELP TO QUAKE-STRIKEN MOROCCO
Israeli Defense Minister Yoav Gallant held a phone call with his Moroccan counterpart to express Israel’s desire to assist the earthquake-stricken country “as much as is required.” Gallant ordered the Israeli military to prepare to provide Morocco with humanitarian aid.
Israel and Morocco normalized relations in 2020 and have recently moved to deepen their diplomatic and security ties. Moroccan Senate president Enaam Mayara was scheduled to be the first Moroccan official and one of the few Muslim leaders ever to set foot in Israel’s Knesset, or parliament, earlier this week but called off the visit to Israel at the last minute due to a medical emergency.
“A significant part of the Abraham Accords is our commitment to stand by our partners during difficult times,” Gallant said a in statement Saturday, referring to the U.S.-brokered accords that formalized ties between Israel and some Arab nations.
MOROCCO RECEIVES OFFERS OF HELP FOLLOWING RARE QUAKE
President Joe Biden was among world leaders expressing sadness at the devastation facing the North African kingdom of Morocco after a powerful earthquake shook Marrakesh and its environs and killed more than 1,000 people.
Biden said Saturday that U.S. officials had been in contact with Morocco to offer help.
“We are working expeditiously to ensure American citizens in Morocco are safe, and stand ready to provide any necessary assistance for the Moroccan people. The United States stands by Morocco and my friend King Mohammed VI at this difficult moment.”
Turkey, which lost tens of thousands of people in a massive earthquake earlier this year, was among those proposing assistance. France and Germany, with large populations of people with Moroccan origins, also offered to help. Israel’s Foreign Ministry said the government has been in touch with Moroccan officials about the possibility of providing help or rescue assistance.
Elsewhere, Qatar offered “provide all necessary assistance to the affected areas to support their recovery from the effects of the earthquake,” according to a statement by Qatar News Agency. The Emirates News Agency reported that Dubai police rescue teams were dispatching aid. King Abdullah II of Jordan also extended an offer of help.
Pope Francis sent a telegram of condolences, expressing his “profound solidarity” with those affected by the catastrophe. Francis visited Morocco in 2019.
ALGERIA OFFERS TO OPEN ITS AIRSPACE
Algeria has offered humanitarian aid to neighboring Morocco after a powerful earthquake in the kingdom on Friday night left more than 1,000 people dead.
In an exceptional move, Algeria offered to open its airspace to allow eventual humanitarian aid or medical evacuation flights to travel to and from Morocco. Algeria closed the airspace when its government severed diplomatic ties with Morocco in 2021 over a series of issues. The countries have a decades-long dispute involving the territory of Western Sahara.
Algerian President Abdelmadjid Tebboune’s office said in a statement Saturday that Algeria is ready to offer humanitarian aid ‘’in solidarity with the brotherly Moroccan people, in case the authorities of the Moroccan kingdom express a wish for this.’’
The statement also offered to reopen the airspace, and condolences for the dead and ‘’deepest compassion’’ for the injured.
DOCTORS WITHOUT BORDERS OFFERS HELP
Doctors Without Borders, or MSF, says it is prepared to respond to the earthquake in Morocco that killed more than 1,000 people and left many more injured.
People were jolted out of bed Friday night by the magnitude-6.8 quake, a rarity in Morocco. In addition to the dead and injured, scores of structures not built to withstand such a powerful temblor crashed to the ground.
Avril Benoît, executive director of MSF-USA, said in a statement that people who live in the affected region are “key to the initial response” when searching for survivors.
“Earthquake survivors often require medical care such as surgery or dialysis, which can be a challenge when local health systems are affected by a disaster. Restoring health services and providing essential supplies also can be a priority at this stage. Our response will depend on the needs that are assessed on site.”
The dead are mostly in Marrakech and the five provinces near the quake’s epicenter, Morocco’s Interior Ministry reported Saturday morning.
veryGood! (249)
Related
- Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
- Baker Mayfield re-signs with Buccaneers on three-year deal
- Jimmy Kimmel calls out Greta Gerwig's Oscars snub, skewers 'Madame Web' in opening monologue
- Victims of Catholic nuns rely on each other after being overlooked in the clergy sex abuse crisis
- Sarah J. Maas books explained: How to read 'ACOTAR,' 'Throne of Glass' in order.
- Jimmy Kimmel fires back after Trump slams 'boring' Oscars: 'Isn't it past your jail time?'
- Christopher Bell wins NASCAR race at Phoenix to give emotional lift to Joe Gibbs Racing
- King Charles III Promises to Serve to the Best of My Ability in Commonwealth Day Address
- House passes bill to add 66 new federal judgeships, but prospects murky after Biden veto threat
- Kate Middleton Breaks Silence on Edited Family Photo Controversy
Ranking
- South Korea's acting president moves to reassure allies, calm markets after Yoon impeachment
- Sleep Better With Sheets, Mattresses, and More Bedroom Essentials for Sleep Week 2024
- Two National Guard soldiers, Border Patrol agent identified after deadly helicopter crash
- 'The Boy and the Heron' director Hayao Miyazaki, 83, wins historic Oscar but absent from show
- Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie return for an 'Encore,' reminisce about 'The Simple Life'
- Who is Robert Hur? A look at the special counsel due to testify on Biden classified documents case
- Why Emily Blunt and Florence Pugh's Oscars Dresses Are Stumping Fans
- NFL free agency QB rankings 2024: The best available from Kirk Cousins to Joe Flacco
Recommendation
Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
Georgia readies to resume executions after a 4-year pause brought by COVID and a legal agreement
Elle King Breaks Silence After Drunken Performance at Dolly Parton Tribute Show
George Soros’ Open Society Foundations name new president after years of layoffs and transition
Elon Musk's skyrocketing net worth: He's the first person with over $400 billion
Ryan Gosling greets fans, Vanessa Hudgens debuts baby bump: The top Oscars red carpet moments
Vanessa Hudgens Shows Off Baby Bump in Sheer Look at Vanity Fair Party
Biden’s big speech showed his uneasy approach to abortion, an issue bound to be key in the campaign