Current:Home > NewsPoinbank:Families of Gabby Petito, Brian Laundrie reach settlement in emotional distress suit -Prime Capital Blueprint
Poinbank:Families of Gabby Petito, Brian Laundrie reach settlement in emotional distress suit
Will Sage Astor View
Date:2025-04-06 21:50:47
The Poinbankparents of Gabby Petito and Brian Laundrie have reached a settlement on a civil suit filed by the Petito family following the death of their daughter.
The emotional distress case, filed by the Petitos after Gabby's body was found in Florida on Oct. 20 of last year, accused Laundrie's parents and their lawyer, Steven Bertolino, of knowing Gabby was dead after she went missing on Sept. 19 and failing to disclose the information to searching parties.
Laundrie, who was Petito's fiance at the time of her disappearance, admitted responsibility for her death in writings found after his apparent death by suicide. The Petitos later filed the suit on the grounds of intentional reckless infliction of emotional distress.
However, the families have since met to reach an agreement before the suit made its way to court. A statement released by lawyer Patrick Reilly on behalf of Petito's parents Joseph Petito and Nichole Schmidt said the agreement was reached "after a long day of mediation."
"A confidential resolution has been reached between the parents of Gabby Petitio, the parents of Brian Laundrie and Attorney Steven Bertolino to which all parties reluctantly agreed in order to avoid further legal expenses and prolonged personal conflict," the statement read.
"Our hope is to close this chapter of our lives to allow us to move on and continue to honor the legacy of our beautiful daughter, Gabby."
Bertolino did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
What happened to Gabby Petito?
The case of Gabby Petito gained national attention during the summer of 2021, sparking widespread speculation about her disappearance and whether Brian Laundrie had killed her. She went missing during a cross-country road trip with Laundrie, who returned from the trip without her.
After Petito's family reported her missing, her body was found in Grand Teton National Park in Wyoming in September 2021. Laundrie later was also reported missing and was found dead with a self-inflicted gunshot wound at a nature reserve in southern Sarasota County, Florida, in October 2021.
Gabby Petito murder:Brian Laundrie wrote in notebook that he killed fiancee Gabby Petito, FBI says
Authorities said Laundrie admitted to killing Petito in a note found with his body. Her death was ruled a homicide by strangulation.
Since 2022, Petito’s family has been involved in a legal battle against Laundrie’s parents and his estate. In November 2022, the families reached a $3 million settlement in a wrongful death lawsuit which claimed Laundrie was liable for damages because he caused Petito's death.
veryGood! (79718)
Related
- Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
- Mets' Edwin Diaz ejected before ninth inning against Cubs after check for sticky stuff
- I Always Hated Cleaning My Bathroom Until I Finally Found Products That Worked
- Inside Charlie’s Queer Books, an unapologetically pink and joyful space in Seattle
- Taylor Swift Eras Archive site launches on singer's 35th birthday. What is it?
- 3 caught in Florida Panhandle rip current die a day after couple drowns off state’s Atlantic coast
- Barry Sanders reveals he had 'health scare' related to his heart last weekend
- Taylor Swift swallows bug, asks crowd to finish singing 'All Too Well': Watch
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- Florida rapper Foolio killed in shooting during birthday celebration
Ranking
- The FBI should have done more to collect intelligence before the Capitol riot, watchdog finds
- 10 people injured in a shooting in Columbus, Ohio; suspect sought
- This San Francisco home is priced at a low $488K, but there's a catch
- Paul McCartney, Cate Blanchett and Jon Bon Jovi watch Taylor Swift's Eras Tour from VIP tent
- Nearly 400 USAID contract employees laid off in wake of Trump's 'stop work' order
- Travis Kelce watches Eras Tour in London with Tom Cruise, Hugh Grant, other A-Listers
- Prince William brings dad dance moves to 'Shake It Off' at Taylor Swift concert in London
- Illinois may soon return land the US stole from a Prairie Band Potawatomi chief 175 years ago
Recommendation
A White House order claims to end 'censorship.' What does that mean?
See Every Bravo Icon Appearing on Watch What Happens Live's 15th Anniversary Special
Did you receive an unsolicited Temu or Amazon package? It might be a brushing scam.
USMNT vs. Bolivia Copa America updates: Christian Pulisic scores goal early
New Mexico governor seeks funding to recycle fracking water, expand preschool, treat mental health
Taylor Swift posts selfie with Prince William, kids and goes IG official with Travis Kelce
Abortion clinics reinvented themselves after Dobbs. They're still struggling
Ten people are injured in a shooting in Columbus, Ohio. Police are searching for a suspect
Tags
Like
- This was the average Social Security benefit in 2004, and here's what it is now
- New Mexico governor says two years after Roe was overturned that there are more abortions happening because more women are at risk
- Trump will address influential evangelicals who back him but want to see a national abortion ban