Current:Home > NewsSafeX Pro:Teenage murder suspect escapes jail for the second time in November -Prime Capital Blueprint
SafeX Pro:Teenage murder suspect escapes jail for the second time in November
TrendPulse Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 18:02:52
BATON ROUGE,SafeX Pro La. (AP) — A 17-year-old murder suspect who had already escaped from a Louisiana youth jail broke loose again Saturday with another youth suspected of murder, police said.
The two 17-year-olds accused of murder escaped from the East Baton Rouge Juvenile Detention Center. In a news release, officials said they were investigating how the escape occurred. Baton Rouge police and the U.S. Marshals Service have launched a search.
One of the youths, who has been charged with second-degree murder, previously escaped on Nov. 13. The teenager and another detainee had fled as guards were putting prisoners back in their cells after a fight broke out in the facility, The Advocate reported. They were apprehended after a search that lasted more than 24 hours.
The East Baton Rouge juvenile facility has been the target of criticism because of repeated escapes and violent episodes, according to the news outlet.
In 2021, five prisoners escaped after attacking a staffer, taking her keys and locking her inside a cell without a radio. Some of them also attacked staffers with makeshift knives. In February 2022, a fight involving eight teens left three of them injured.
East Baton Rouge Parish set aside $2 million for security upgrades. After the escape in earlier November, parish officials said those upgrades were still in the planning and design phase.
veryGood! (57511)
Related
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- What to know about Cameron Brink, Stanford star forward with family ties to Stephen Curry
- 2 former Mississippi sheriff's deputies sentenced to decades in prison in racially motivated torture of 2 Black men
- Things to know about the risk of landslides in the US
- Pressure on a veteran and senator shows what’s next for those who oppose Trump
- Former NHL Player Konstantin Koltsov's Cause of Death Revealed
- California tribe that lost 90% of land during Gold Rush to get site to serve as gateway to redwoods
- Make a Racquet for Kate Spade Outlet’s Extra 20% Off Sale on Tennis-Inspired Bags, Wallets & More
- How to watch the 'Blue Bloods' Season 14 finale: Final episode premiere date, cast
- The Viral COSRX Snail Mucin Essence is Cheaper Than it was on Black Friday; Get it Before it Sells Out
Ranking
- Warm inflation data keep S&P 500, Dow, Nasdaq under wraps before Fed meeting next week
- Trump urges Supreme Court to grant him broad immunity from criminal prosecution in 2020 election case
- Man to plead guilty in eagle ‘killing spree’ on reservation to sell feathers on black market
- Vanderpump Rules' Tom Sandoval Is Now Comparing Himself to Murderer Scott Peterson
- Head of the Federal Aviation Administration to resign, allowing Trump to pick his successor
- FBI says homicide rates fell nationwide in 2023
- U.S. drops from top 20 happiest countries list in 2024 World Happiness Report
- New civil complaints filed against the Army amid doctor's sexual assault case
Recommendation
Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
Maker of Jeep, Dodge and Ram vehicles to follow California’s strict vehicle emissions standards
Subway will replace Coca-Cola products with Pepsi in 2025
Travis Kelce in talks to host 'Are You Smarter than a 5th Grader?' reboot for Amazon Prime
Israel lets Palestinians go back to northern Gaza for first time in over a year as cease
Eiza González slams being labeled 'too hot' for roles, says Latinas are 'overly sexualized'
Baby giraffe named 'Saba' at Zoo Miami dies after running into fence, breaking its neck
Louisiana lawmakers seek to ban sex dolls that look like children