Current:Home > NewsFastexy:At least 37 dead after stampede at military stadium in Republic of Congo during recruitment event -Prime Capital Blueprint
Fastexy:At least 37 dead after stampede at military stadium in Republic of Congo during recruitment event
Benjamin Ashford View
Date:2025-04-06 18:26:21
BRAZZAVILLE,Fastexy Republic of Congo (AP) — A stampede at a military stadium has left at least 37 people dead in Republic of Congo after large crowds of young people responded to a recruitment appeal, authorities said Tuesday.
The Congolese Armed Forces Command later announced that all recruitment operations have been suspended in Brazzaville until further notice following the tragedy late Monday.
Public prosecutor Oko Ngakala said that an investigation would be launched and questioned why the event was still going on at midnight.
Brandon Tsetou, a young graduate who escaped the suffocation, said he had been lined up in front of Ornado stadium since Monday morning.
“According to the organizers, it was the last day. That’s why many of us decided to wait until late into the night, hoping to register,” he told The Associated Press. “Some were so impatient that they had to force their way in, causing a stampede that left a number of people dead or injured, which we deplore.”
Long lines formed outside recruitment centers each day over the past week as young people have sought to join the army, one of the few institutions offering work in Republic of Congo. As many as 700 people a day have registered, though there are only a total of 1,500 places available.
“The provisional toll established by the emergency services is 37 dead and many injured,” according to a press release issued Tuesday by the prime minister’s office crisis unit.
Among the victims was 23-year-old Chancelvie Oko, according to her uncle Germain Ndzale. Oko wanted to join the military to help her support her two children following her husband’s death in a traffic accident two years ago, Ndzale said.
In Republic of Congo, the youth unemployment rate is about 42%, according to World Bank statistics. Despite being an oil-producing country, poverty is widespread in the nation of 5.61 million people, with only 15% of those living in rural areas having access to electricity.
Tresor Nzila, executive director of the nongovernmental organization Action Center for Development, called for a full investigation and for the government to publish a list of victims.
“This human tragedy reflects the distress of a sacrificed youth,” he said. “The Congolese government is incapable of creating other employment. The defense and security forces have become the main job providers.”
“The government must be held directly responsible, because it did not assess the risks of its actions,” Nzila said.
veryGood! (9)
Related
- Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
- Prepare to Be Blinded By Victoria Beckham's 15 Engagement Rings
- Martti Ahtisaari, former Finnish president and Nobel Peace Prize winner, dies at 86
- RHONY's Jessel Taank Claps Back at Costars for Criticizing Her Sex Life
- Biden administration makes final diplomatic push for stability across a turbulent Mideast
- Millie Bobby Brown Reveals How Fiancé Jake Bongiovi Changed Her Stance on Marriage
- Under busy Florida street, a 19th-century boat discovered where once was water
- Stock market today: Asian shares sink as investors brace for Israeli invasion of Gaza
- Dick Vitale announces he is cancer free: 'Santa Claus came early'
- NYPD celebrates members of Hispanic heritage
Ranking
- Backstage at New York's Jingle Ball with Jimmy Fallon, 'Queer Eye' and Meghan Trainor
- Former MSU football coach Mel Tucker uses toxic tactic to defend himself
- Child advocates ask why Kansas left slain 5-year-old in dangerous environment: 'Society's collective failure'
- Travis Barker Shares Photo of Gruesome Hand Injury After Blink-182 Concert
- Highlights from Trump’s interview with Time magazine
- 5 Things podcast: Should the Sackler family face accountability for the opioid crisis?
- Israel's U.N. mission hears from families of kidnapped, missing: We want them back. It's all we want.
- Man United Sale: Ratcliffe bid, Sheikh Jassim withdrawing, Glazers could remain in control
Recommendation
Friday the 13th luck? 13 past Mega Millions jackpot wins in December. See top 10 lottery prizes
The Crown Unveils First Glimpse of Princes William and Harry in Final Season Photos
Have you heard of Margaret Winkler? She's the woman behind Disney's 100th birthday
The owners of a California home day care were arrested after 2 children drown in backyard pool
The White House is cracking down on overdraft fees
Illinois man killed Muslim boy, 6, in hate crime motivated by Israeli-Hamas war, police say
In Hamas’ horrific killings, Israeli trauma over the Holocaust resurfaces
Lawyers and judge hash out juror questions for Powell and Chesebro trial in Georgia election case