Current:Home > MarketsNASA sets return date for empty Starliner spacecraft, crew will remain in space until 2025 -Prime Capital Blueprint
NASA sets return date for empty Starliner spacecraft, crew will remain in space until 2025
Surpassing Quant Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 14:36:16
After almost three months of waiting and delays, Boeing’s Starliner spacecraft has a tentative return date, although it will do so without its two-person crew.
On Thursday, NASA said that, “pending weather and operational readiness,” the Starliner will undock from the International Space Station no earlier than 6:04 EDT on September 6. Following a six-hour flight, the spacecraft should touch down a few minutes after midnight on September 7 at a landing zone at the White Sands Space Harbor in New Mexico, where it will then be recovered and transported to the Boeing Starliner factory at the Kennedy Space Center in Florida.
Astronauts Barry “Butch” Wilmore and Sunita “Suni” Williams, who flew aboard the Starliner during its inaugural crewed flight on June 5, will remain at the International Space Station for another six months until they return in February aboard the SpaceX Dragon capsule.
An autonomous return
The Starliner will make the return journey autonomously, according to NASA. The spacecraft completed a similar uncrewed entry and landing during an earlier orbital flight test.
“Teams on the ground are able to remotely command the spacecraft if needed through the necessary maneuvers for a safe undocking, re-entry, and parachute-assisted landing in the southwest United States,” the agency said.
See timeline:2 months after Starliner launched, astronauts still haven’t returned
The Starliner's troubled history
The Starliner has had an often-troubled history since Boeing was awarded a $4.8 billion contract in 2014 to develop a spacecraft capable of making crewed trips to low-Earth orbit.
The spacecraft’s inaugural launch with astronauts aboard was initially scheduled for May 6, but was scrubbed just hour before liftoff after engineers discovered a technical anomaly. A second attempted launch in June 1 was scrubbed as well, this time only minutes before liftoff, due to a computer issue.
When the Starliner finally did launch on June 5 with Wilmore and Williams aboard, it was only scheduled to spend a week docked at the International Space Station. As the Starliner arrived in orbit, however, NASA announced that helium leaks had been discovered aboard the spacecraft. Throughout June and July, Boeing and NASA repeatedly delayed the Starliner’s return, although the space agency was emphatic that the Starliner’s crew was in no way stranded at the space station.
On August 24, NASA announced that the Starliner would return to Earth without its crew.
“Spaceflight is risky, even at its safest and most routine. A test flight, by nature, is neither safe nor routine. The decision to keep Butch and Suni aboard the International Space Station and bring Boeing’s Starliner home uncrewed is the result of our commitment to safety: our core value and our North Star,” NASA Administrator Bill Nelson said at the time.
Contributing: Eric Lagatta, USA TODAY
Max Hauptman is a Trending Reporter for USA TODAY. He can be reached at [email protected]
veryGood! (9186)
Related
- Tree trimmer dead after getting caught in wood chipper at Florida town hall
- Brave until the end: University of Kentucky dancer Kate Kaufling dies at 20 from cancer
- Inmate’s lawsuit seeks to block Alabama’s bid to arrange 2nd execution using nitrogen gas
- Judge expands Trump’s gag order after ex-president’s social media posts about judge’s daughter
- Meet the volunteers risking their lives to deliver Christmas gifts to children in Haiti
- Pat Sajak replaced as 'Wheel of Fortune' host? You won't believe the Joker who stepped in
- Google to destroy billions of data records to settle incognito lawsuit
- Invaders from underground are coming in cicada-geddon. It’s the biggest bug emergence in centuries
- B.A. Parker is learning the banjo
- As US traffic fatalities fall, distracted drivers told to 'put the phone away or pay'
Ranking
- Head of the Federal Aviation Administration to resign, allowing Trump to pick his successor
- Christians in Jerusalem cautiously celebrate Easter amid Israel-Hamas war
- Who is in the women's Final Four? Iowa joins South Carolina, NC State
- LSU's Angel Reese tearfully addresses critics postgame: 'I've been attacked so many times'
- The city of Chicago is ordered to pay nearly $80M for a police chase that killed a 10
- Why WWII and Holocaust dramas like 'We Were the Lucky Ones' are more important than ever
- DJ Burns an unlikely star that has powered NC State to Final Four. 'Nobody plays like him'
- Judge expands Trump’s gag order after ex-president’s social media posts about judge’s daughter
Recommendation
Federal court filings allege official committed perjury in lawsuit tied to Louisiana grain terminal
What customers should know about AT&T's massive data breach
Caitlin Clark 3-point record: Iowa star sets career NCAA mark in Elite 8 game vs. LSU
April Fools' Day pranks: Apps to translate baby stoner sayings, a ghostbuster at Tinder
Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
Deion Sanders bringing Warren Sapp to Colorado football as graduate assistant coach
Florida Supreme Court upholds state’s 15-week ban on most abortions, paving way for 6-week ban
YMcoin Exchange: Current status of cryptocurrency development in Australia