Current:Home > MarketsGreek authorities conduct search and rescue operation after dinghy carrying migrants capsizes -Prime Capital Blueprint
Greek authorities conduct search and rescue operation after dinghy carrying migrants capsizes
Charles H. Sloan View
Date:2025-04-06 20:28:48
ATHENS, Greece (AP) — Greek authorities conducted a search and rescue operation Friday off the coast of a small islet in the eastern Aegean Sea near the Turkish coast after a dinghy carrying migrants to Greece capsized, the coast guard said.
A total of 18 people were rescued, while one more person, a woman, was pulled from the water unconscious, the coast guard said. The survivors were to be transported to the nearby island of Samos. The coast guard said no further people were reported as missing.
Thousands of people fleeing war and poverty in the Middle East, Africa and Asia attempt to make the short but dangerous sea crossing from Turkey to the Greek islands each year, in the hope of eventually making their way to more prosperous European Union countries.
Some attempt to skirt around Greece and head directly to Italy instead, either from Turkey or from north Africa. The longer sea journey is considerably more perilous, and has claimed hundreds of lives.
In June, an overloaded fishing trawler believed to have been carrying up to 750 people capsized and sank off the coast of western Greece as it headed from Libya to Italy. The vast majority of passengers had been below deck, and only 104 survivors and 78 bodies were recovered.
veryGood! (89198)
Related
- 2025 'Doomsday Clock': This is how close we are to self
- 3 states renew their effort to reduce access to the abortion drug mifepristone
- Texas sues doctor and accuses her of violating ban on gender-affirming care
- Oklahoma parents and teachers sue to stop top education official’s classroom Bible mandate
- Elon Musk's skyrocketing net worth: He's the first person with over $400 billion
- Liam Payne Death Investigation: Authorities Reveal What They Found Inside Hotel Room
- 6-year-old boy accidentally shoots younger brother, killing him; great-grandfather charged
- Lionel Messi looks ahead to Inter Miami title run, ponders World Cup future
- Trump's 'stop
- Disney x Kate Spade’s Snow White Collection Is the Fairest of Them All -- And It's on Sale
Ranking
- How to watch the 'Blue Bloods' Season 14 finale: Final episode premiere date, cast
- New Hampshire’s port director and his wife, a judge, are both facing criminal charges
- Wealthier Americans are driving retail spending and powering US economy
- Democratic incumbent and GOP challenger to hold the only debate in Nevada’s US Senate race
- Behind on your annual reading goal? Books under 200 pages to read before 2024 ends
- There are 11 remaining college football unbeatens. Predicting when each will lose
- How Larsa Pippen Feels About “Villain” Label Amid Shocking Reality TV Return
- Harris pressed on immigration, Biden in tense Fox News interview | The Excerpt
Recommendation
The Louvre will be renovated and the 'Mona Lisa' will have her own room
‘Breaking Bad’ star appears in ad campaign against littering in New Mexico
Republicans appeal a Georgia judge’s ruling that invalidates seven election rules
U2's Sphere concert film is staggeringly lifelike. We talk to the Edge about its creation
Dick Vitale announces he is cancer free: 'Santa Claus came early'
Texas sues doctor and accuses her of violating ban on gender-affirming care
Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade lineup will include Minnie Mouse — finally
Onetime art adviser to actor Leonardo DiCaprio, among others, pleads guilty in $6.5 million fraud