Current:Home > MyResidents prepare to return to sites of homes demolished in Lahaina wildfire 7 weeks ago -Prime Capital Blueprint
Residents prepare to return to sites of homes demolished in Lahaina wildfire 7 weeks ago
Will Sage Astor View
Date:2025-04-06 18:22:32
HONOLULU (AP) — From just outside the burn zone in Lahaina, Jes Claydon can see the ruins of the rental home where she lived for 13 years and raised three children. Little remains recognizable beyond the jars of sea glass that stood outside the front door.
On Monday, officials are expected to begin lifting restrictions on entry to the area, and Claydon hopes to collect those jars and any other mementos she might find.
“I want the freedom to just be there and absorb what happened,” Claydon said. “Whatever I might find, even if it’s just those jars of sea glass, I’m looking forward to taking it. ... It’s a piece of home.”
Authorities will begin allowing the first residents and property owners to return to their properties in the burn zone, many for the first time since it was demolished nearly seven weeks ago, on Aug. 8, by the deadliest U.S. wildfire in more than a century.
The prospect of returning has stirred strong emotions in residents who fled in vehicles or on foot as the wind-whipped flames raced across Lahaina, the historic capital of the former Hawaiian kingdom, and overcame people stuck in traffic trying to escape.
Some survivors jumped over a sea wall and sheltered in the waves as hot black smoke blotted out the sun. The wildfire killed at least 97 people and destroyed more than 2,000 buildings, most of them homes.
Claydon’s home was a single-story cinderblock house painted a reddish-tan, similar to the red dirt in Lahaina. She can see the property from a National Guard blockade that has kept unauthorized people out of the burn zone. A few of the walls are still standing, and some green lawn remains, she said.
Authorities have divided the burned area into 17 zones and dozens of sub-zones. Residents or property owners of the first to be cleared for reentry — known as Zone 1C, along Kaniau Road in the north part of Lahaina — will be allowed to return on supervised visits Monday and Tuesday between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. Those eligible could pick up passes from Friday to Sunday in advance.
Darryl Oliveira, interim administrator of the Maui Emergency Management Agency, said officials also want to ensure that they have the space and privacy to reflect or grieve as they see fit.
“They anticipate some people will only want to go for a very short period of time, a few minutes to say goodbye in a way to their property,” Hawaii Gov. Josh Green said last week. “Others may want to stay several hours. They’re going to be very accommodating.”
Those returning will be provided water, shade, washing stations, portable toilets, medical and mental health care, and transportation assistance if needed. Nonprofit groups are also offering personal protective equipment, including masks and coveralls. Officials have warned ash could contain asbestos, lead, arsenic or other toxins.
While some residents, like Claydon, might be eager to find jewelry, photographs or other tokens of their life before the fire, officials are urging them not to sift through the ashes for fear of raising toxic dust that could endanger them or their neighbors downwind.
veryGood! (5386)
Related
- This was the average Social Security benefit in 2004, and here's what it is now
- As students return to Columbia, the epicenter of a campus protest movement braces for disruption
- US closes 5-year probe of General Motors SUV seat belt failures due to added warranty coverage
- Angelina Jolie gets emotional during standing ovation at Telluride Film Festival
- The company planning a successor to Concorde makes its first supersonic test
- The ManningCast is back: Full schedule for 2024 NFL season
- How Hailey Bieber's Rhode Beauty Reacted to Influencer's Inclusivity Critique
- Simone Biles Says She's No Longer Performing This Gymnastic Move in the Most Unforgettable Way
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- Republicans were right: Zuckerberg admits Biden administration censored your Facebook feed
Ranking
- Taylor Swift Eras Archive site launches on singer's 35th birthday. What is it?
- Nation's largest Black Protestant denomination faces high-stakes presidential vote
- Team USA's Rebecca Hart, Fiona Howard win gold in Paralympics equestrian
- Shohei Ohtani back in Anaheim: Dodgers star chases 50-50 before first postseason trip
- 'As foretold in the prophecy': Elon Musk and internet react as Tesla stock hits $420 all
- Princess Märtha Louise of Norway Marries Shaman Durek Verrett in Lavish Wedding
- Overnight shootings along Seattle-area interstate injure 4
- The 33 most anticipated movies of the Fall
Recommendation
Finally, good retirement news! Southwest pilots' plan is a bright spot, experts say
Southeast South Dakota surges ahead of Black Hills in tourism revenue
Tobey Maguire’s Ex Jennifer Meyer Engaged to Billionaire Heir Geoffrey Ogunlesi
FBI arrests former aide to New York Gov. Kathy Hochul
Why we love Bear Pond Books, a ski town bookstore with a French bulldog 'Staff Pup'
1 dead, 2 missing after boat crashes in Connecticut River
Congo says at least 129 people died during an attempted jailbreak, most of them in a stampede
Kara Welsh Case: Man Arrested After Gymnast Dies During Shooting