Current:Home > MyCongolese army says it has foiled a coup attempt. Self-exiled opposition figure threatens president -Prime Capital Blueprint
Congolese army says it has foiled a coup attempt. Self-exiled opposition figure threatens president
EchoSense View
Date:2025-04-06 16:42:39
KINSHASA, Congo (AP) — Congo’s army said it foiled a coup attempt early Sunday and arrested the perpetrators, including several foreigners, following attacks on the presidential palace and the residence of a close ally of Congo’s president that left three people dead in the capital, Kinshasa.
At first, local media identified the armed men as Congolese soldiers but then reported they were linked to self-exiled opposition figure Christian Malanga, who later posted a video on Facebook threatening President Felix Tshisekedi.
Malanga was killed at the presidential palace after he resisted arrest by guards, Congolese army spokesperson Brig. Gen. Sylvain Ekenge told The Associated Press.
Tshisekedi was reelected as president in December in a chaotic vote amid calls for a revote from the opposition over what they said was a lack of transparency. The Central African country has witnessed similar trends of disputed elections in the past.
Ekenge said on state television Sunday that the attempted coup d’état was “nipped in the bud by Congolese defense and security forces (and) the situation is under control.” Among the perpetrators were three Americans, including the son of Malanga, Ekenge later told the AP.
This also came amid a crisis gripping Tshisekedi’s ruling party over an election for the parliament’s leadership, which was supposed to be held Saturday but was postponed.
Clashes were reported Sunday between men in military uniform and guards of Vital Kamerhe, a federal legislator and a candidate for speaker of the National Assembly of Congo, at his residence in Kinshasa, about 2 kilometers (1.2 miles) from the presidential palace and where some embassies are also located.
Kamerhe’s guards stopped the armed men, Michel Moto Muhima, the politician’s spokesperson said on the X social media platform, adding that two police officers and one of the attackers were killed in the shootout that started around 4:30 a.m.
Footage, seemingly from the area, showed military trucks and heavily armed men parading deserted streets in the neighborhood as the army said the situation has been brought under control.
Meanwhile, the self-exiled Malanga appeared in the live-streamed video at the presidential palace surrounded by several people in military uniform and said: “Felix, you’re out. We are coming for you.”
On his website, the opposition leader’s group — the United Congolese Party (UCP) — is described as “a grassroots platform that unifies the Congolese Diaspora around the world opposing the current Congolese dictatorship.”
Tshisekedi hasn’t so far addressed the public about Sunday’s events.
On Friday, he met with parliamentarians and leaders of the Sacred Union of the Nation ruling coalition in an attempt to resolve the crisis seizing his party, which dominates the national assembly. He said he would not “hesitate to dissolve the National Assembly and send everyone to new elections if these bad practices persist.”
The United States Embassy in Congo issued a security alert Sunday, urging caution after “reports of gunfire.”
___
Asadu reported from Abuja, Nigeria. Associated Press writers Ruth Alonga in Goma, Congo, and Sam Mednick in Tel Aviv contributed.
veryGood! (571)
Related
- Intel's stock did something it hasn't done since 2022
- Thousands of veterans face foreclosure and it's not their fault. The VA could help
- Kentucky under state of emergency as dozens of wildfires spread amid drought conditions
- Pregnant Teen Mom Star Kailyn Lowry Reveals the True Sexes of Her Twins
- Former Danish minister for Greenland discusses Trump's push to acquire island
- Claire Holt Gives Birth, Welcomes Baby No. 3 With Husband Andrew Joblon
- The Excerpt podcast: Politicians' personal lives matter to voters. Should they?
- Louisiana lawmakers have until Jan. 15 to enact new congressional map, court says
- Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
- The 4-day workweek: How one Ohio manufacturer is making it work
Ranking
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- Nonprofits making progress in tackling homelessness among veterans, but challenges remain
- U.S. arm of China mega-lender ICBC hit by ransomware attack
- Oklahoma trooper tickets Native American citizen, sparking outrage from tribal leaders
- North Carolina justices rule for restaurants in COVID
- Which stores are open and closed Thanksgiving 2023? See Target, Walmart, Costco holiday hours
- Former Indiana legislator agrees to plead guilty to fraud in casino corruption scheme
- Cuffing season has arrived. Don't jump into a relationship just because it's here.
Recommendation
Gen. Mark Milley's security detail and security clearance revoked, Pentagon says
Grammys 2024 Snubs and Surprises: Barbie, Prince Harry, Miley Cyrus and More
Lululemon Gifts Under $50 That Are So Cute You'll Want to Grab Two of Them
Unpacking the Murder Conspiracy Case Involving Savannah Chrisley's Boyfriend Robert Shiver
NHL in ASL returns, delivering American Sign Language analysis for Deaf community at Winter Classic
Watch livestream of 2024 Grammy nominations: Artists up to win in 'Music's Biggest Night'
Thousands of veterans face foreclosure and it's not their fault. The VA could help
Yellen says her talks with Chinese finance chief laid groundwork for Biden’s meeting with Xi