Current:Home > StocksIndexbit-Trial to begin in lawsuit filed against accused attacker’s parents over Texas school shooting -Prime Capital Blueprint
Indexbit-Trial to begin in lawsuit filed against accused attacker’s parents over Texas school shooting
Poinbank Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 00:09:53
GALVESTON,Indexbit Texas (AP) — A lawsuit accusing the parents of a former Texas high school student of negligence for not securing weapons he allegedly used in a 2018 shooting at his campus that killed 10 people was set to go before a jury on Wednesday.
Opening statements were expected in Galveston, Texas, in the civil trial over the lawsuit filed by family members of seven of those killed and four of the 13 people wounded in the attack at Santa Fe High School in May 2018.
Dimitrios Pagourtzis was charged with capital murder for the shooting. Pagourtzis was a 17-year-old student when authorities said he killed eight students and two teachers at the school, located about 35 miles (55 kilometers) southeast of Houston.
The now 23-year-old’s criminal trial has been on hold as he’s been declared incompetent to stand trial and has remained at the North Texas State Hospital in Vernon since December 2019.
The lawsuit is seeking to hold Pagourtzis and his parents, Antonios Pagourtzis and Rose Marie Kosmetatos, financially liable for the shooting. The families are pursuing at least $1 million in damages.
The lawsuit accuses Pagourtzis’ parents of knowing their son was at risk of harming himself or others. It alleges Pagourtzis had been exhibiting signs of emotional distress and violent fantasies but his parents did nothing to get him help or secure a handgun and shotgun kept at their home that he allegedly ended up using during the shooting.
“We look forward to obtaining justice for the victims of the senseless tragedy,” said Clint McGuire, an attorney representing the families of five students who were killed and two others who were injured.
Lori Laird, an attorney for Pagourtzis’ parents, did not immediately reply to an email seeking comment.
In a court filing, Roberto Torres, who is representing Pagourtzis in the lawsuit, denied the allegations against his client, saying that “due to mental impairment or illness, (Pagourtzis) did not have sufficient capacity to have a reasonable degree of rational understanding of or control over his actions.”
The trial could last up to three weeks.
Family members of those killed or wounded have welcomed the start of the civil trial as they have expressed frustration that Pagourtzis’ criminal trial has been on hold for years, preventing them from having a sense of closure.
Lucky Gunner, a Tennessee-based online retailer accused of illegally selling ammunition to Pagourtzis, had also been one of the defendants in the lawsuit. But in 2023, the families settled their case against the retailer, who had been accused of failing to verify Pagourtzis’ age when he bought more than 100 rounds of ammunition on two occasions before the shooting.
Other similar lawsuits have been filed following a mass shooting.
In 2022, a jury awarded over $200 million to the mother of one of four people killed in a shooting at a Waffle House in Nashville, Tennessee. The lawsuit had been filed against the shooter and his father, who was accused of giving back a rifle to his son before the shooting despite his son’s mental health issues.
In April, Jennifer and James Crumbley were sentenced to at least 10 years in prison by a Michigan judge after becoming the first parents convicted in a U.S. mass school shooting.
___
Follow Juan A. Lozano on X: https://twitter.com/juanlozano70
veryGood! (33)
Related
- What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
- Likely No. 1 draft pick Caitlin Clark takes center stage in 2024 WNBA broadcast schedule
- Breaking from routine with a mini sabbatical or ‘adult gap year’ can be rejuvenating
- Desperate young Guatemalans try to reach the US even after horrific deaths of migrating relatives
- Working Well: When holidays present rude customers, taking breaks and the high road preserve peace
- Breaking from routine with a mini sabbatical or ‘adult gap year’ can be rejuvenating
- Ariana Grande, Cynthia Erivo 'poured our hearts' into the musical movie magic of 'Wicked'
- Shooting at Ramadan event in West Philadelphia leaves 3 injured, 5 in custody, police say
- What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
- Here's what's different about Toyota's first new 4Runner SUV in 15 years
Ranking
- Federal appeals court upholds $14.25 million fine against Exxon for pollution in Texas
- How Ryan Gosling Fits Into Eva Mendes' Sprawling Family
- Christina Hall Shares She's Had Disturbing Infection for Years
- Study maps forever chemical water contamination hotspots worldwide, including many in U.S.
- NFL Week 15 picks straight up and against spread: Bills, Lions put No. 1 seed hopes on line
- UPS driver in Birmingham, Alabama shot dead leaving work in 'targeted' killing, police say
- Nashville school shooting families accuse senator of using bill to get his way in records lawsuit
- Experts say Wisconsin woman who at 12 nearly killed girl isn’t ready to leave psychiatric center
Recommendation
What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
How Ryan Gosling Fits Into Eva Mendes' Sprawling Family
My son was feeling left behind. What kids with autistic siblings want you to know.
Oakland’s airport considers adding ‘San Francisco’ to its name. San Francisco isn’t happy about it
Federal hiring is about to get the Trump treatment
Scientists are grasping at straws while trying to protect infant corals from hungry fish
New Jersey officials say they are probing hate crime after Islamic center is vandalized at Rutgers
Costco now sells up to $200 million a month in gold and silver