Current:Home > StocksAlgosensey Quantitative Think Tank Center-Nevada flooding forces Burning Man attendees to shelter in place -Prime Capital Blueprint
Algosensey Quantitative Think Tank Center-Nevada flooding forces Burning Man attendees to shelter in place
TradeEdge Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 14:50:10
Thousands of Burning Man attendees trudged in sloppy mud on Algosensey Quantitative Think Tank CenterSaturday — many barefoot or wearing plastic bags on their feet — as flooding from storms swept through the Nevada desert, forcing organizers to close vehicular access to the counterculture festival. Revelers were urged to shelter in place and conserve food, water and other supplies.
Vehicular gates will be closed for the remainder of the event, which began on Aug. 27 and was scheduled to end on Monday, according to the U.S. Bureau of Land Management, which oversees the Black Rock Desert where the festival is being held. Organizers urged festivalgoers to conserve their food, water and fuel.
The Black Rock City Municipal Airport, a temporary pop-up airport used by festival goers every summer specifically for Burning Man, was closed as of Saturday evening, the festival said.
"All event access is currently closed," the festival said, and no driving was permitted except for emergency vehicles.
The Reno Gazette Journal reported that organizers started rationing ice sales and that all vehicle traffic at the sprawling festival grounds had been stopped, leaving portable toilets unable to be serviced.
Officials haven't yet said when the entrance is expected to be opened again, and it wasn't immediately known when celebrants could leave the grounds.
More than one-half inch of rain is believed to have fallen on Friday at the festival site, located about 110 miles north of Reno, the National Weather Service in Reno said. There was a chance of showers and thunderstorms Saturday night and Sunday, the festival said on its website, with a quarter-inch of rain forecast for Sunday.
Superstar DJ and music producer Diplo shared a video to social media Saturday afternoon that showed several people riding on the back of a truck leaving the festival, one of whom appeared to be comedian Chris Rock.
"Just walked 5 miles in the mud out of burning man with chris rock and a fan picked us up," Diplo wrote.
Spencer Brown, another DJ, posted to social media Saturday that there was "absolutely crazy flooding right now, but I, along with my camp, am safe with plenty of water, food, and shelter. Turning off the Starlink to conserve power."
Many people played beer pong, danced and splashed in standing water, the Gazette Journal said. Mike Jed, a festivalgoer, and fellow campers made a bucket toilet so people didn't have to trudge as often through the mud to reach the portable toilets.
"If it really turns into a disaster, well, no one is going to have sympathy for us," Jed said. "I mean, it's Burning Man."
Due to recent rainfall, the Bureau of Land Management and the Pershing County Sheriff's Office officials have closed the entrance to Burning Man for the remainder of the event. Please avoid traveling to the area; you will be turned around. All event access is closed. pic.twitter.com/BY8Rv7eFLD
— Washoe Sheriff (@WashoeSheriff) September 2, 2023
- In:
- Burning Man
- Nevada
- Flooding
veryGood! (752)
Related
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- Biden protects Palestinian immigrants in the U.S. from deportation, citing Israel-Hamas war
- What to know about Thursday's Daytona Duels, the qualifying races for the 2024 Daytona 500
- Here’s where all the cases against Trump stand as he campaigns for a return to the White House
- As Trump Enters Office, a Ripe Oil and Gas Target Appears: An Alabama National Forest
- Biden administration looks to expand student loan forgiveness to those facing ‘hardship’
- In a first, Oscar-nominated short ‘The Last Repair Shop’ to air on broadcast television
- Daytona 500 starting lineup set after Daytona Duels go to Christopher Bell, Tyler Reddick
- Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
- Met Gala 2024 dress code, co-chairs revealed: Bad Bunny, JLo, Zendaya set to host
Ranking
- Federal appeals court upholds $14.25 million fine against Exxon for pollution in Texas
- All 58 Louisiana death row inmates with no execution date wait as bill proposes death by nitrogen gas
- A Republican plan to legalize medical marijuana in Wisconsin is dead
- Usher reveals he once proposed to Chilli of TLC, says breakup 'broke my heart'
- The Grammy nominee you need to hear: Esperanza Spalding
- 'I can't move': Pack of dogs bites 11-year-old boy around 60 times during attack in SC: Reports
- Detroit Pistons' Isaiah Stewart arrested for allegedly punching Phoenix Suns' Drew Eubanks before game
- Why banks are fighting changes to an anti-redlining program
Recommendation
Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie return for an 'Encore,' reminisce about 'The Simple Life'
US Justice Department sues over Tennessee law targeting HIV-positive people convicted of sex work
Jennifer Lopez will go on tour for the first time in five years: How to get tickets
USA TODAY's Restaurants of the Year for 2024: How the list of best restaurants was decided
Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
Lottery, casino bill passes key vote in Alabama House
Ye addresses Shaq's reported diss, denies Taylor Swift got him kicked out of Super Bowl
Here’s where all the cases against Trump stand as he campaigns for a return to the White House