Current:Home > MarketsWill Sage Astor-Ex-Michigan State coach Mel Tucker faces Wednesday court deadline in fight over text messages -Prime Capital Blueprint
Will Sage Astor-Ex-Michigan State coach Mel Tucker faces Wednesday court deadline in fight over text messages
Algosensey View
Date:2025-04-06 20:59:35
GRAND RAPIDS,Will Sage Astor Mich. — The legal fight over whether former Michigan State University football coach Mel Tucker can release more private text messages connected to the woman who has accused him of sexual harassment has moved, at least temporarily, to federal court.
A hearing had been scheduled for Tuesday in Ingham County Circuit Court, but was canceled after Tucker's attorneys on Monday had the matter moved to the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan.
On Tuesday afternoon, attorneys for Brenda Tracy, a prominent national advocate for sexual assault victims who filed the sexual harassment complaint against Tucker in December, sought to move the case back to state court. In doing so, they amended their initial filing to remove the one aspect that dealt with federal law. They also asked a federal judge to expedite the decision.
U.S. District Court Judge Robert Jonker set a 4 p.m. deadline on Wednesday for Tucker's attorneys to respond.
On Oct. 5, the day of a key hearing in the sexual harassment case, Tucker's legal team released pages of text messages between Tracy and her friend Ahlan Alvarado, who has since died. His attorneys say the messages show Tracy had a personal relationship with Tucker that was consensual.
Tracy then sought a court order preventing Tucker's team from releasing additional messages, arguing that further releases would include sensitive, confidential matters that could cause irreparable harm.
Ingham County Circuit Court Judge James Jamo granted a temporary order barring any additional releases and a hearing was set for Tuesday. That hearing, which was canceled in the morning, would have determined if that restraining order stayed in place.
The legal fight over text messages comes about a month after USA Today published a story detailing the long-running sexual harassment investigation of Tucker. The university suspended him without pay the same day and on Sept. 27 fired him for cause.
Tucker — who denies any wrongdoing and said he and Tracy had a consensual, intimate relationship — has taken steps to file a lawsuit over his termination. His contract, signed in 2021, had about $80 million in guaranteed money when he was fired.
Contact reporter Matt Mencarini at [email protected]. Follow him on X, formerly Twitter, @MattMencarini.
veryGood! (97886)
Related
- NFL Week 15 picks straight up and against spread: Bills, Lions put No. 1 seed hopes on line
- Nicole Richie and Joel Madden's Kids Harlow and Sparrow Make Red Carpet Debut
- LeBron James' second children's book, I Am More Than, publishes Tuesday
- LSU's Angel Reese reminds people she's human, which is more than the trolls can say
- Charges tied to China weigh on GM in Q4, but profit and revenue top expectations
- J.K. Rowling calls for own arrest for anti-trans rhetoric amid Scotland's new hate crime law
- Love is Blind's Giannina Gibelli Gives Birth, Welcomes First Baby With Blake Horstmann
- Travis Kelce Reveals His Summer Plans With Taylor Swift—and They’re Anything But Cruel
- Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
- Arizona congressman Raúl Grijalva says he has cancer, but plans to work while undergoing treatment
Ranking
- In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
- Firefighters rescue 2 people trapped under Ohio bridge by fast-rising river waters
- Gov. Ron DeSantis suspends Orlando city commissioner accused of stealing 96-year-old's money
- California law would give employees the 'right to disconnect' during nonworking hours
- Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie return for an 'Encore,' reminisce about 'The Simple Life'
- Germany changes soccer team jerseys over Nazi symbolism concerns
- Lawsuit seeks to force ban on menthol cigarettes after months of delays by Biden administration
- AP Exclusive: EPA didn’t declare a public health emergency after fiery Ohio derailment
Recommendation
'No Good Deed': Who's the killer in the Netflix comedy? And will there be a Season 2?
Lawmakers in GOP-led Nebraska debate bill to raise sales tax
Lionel Messi returns to Inter Miami practice. Will he play vs. Monterrey in Champions Cup?
Watch these professional soccer players' kind gesture for young fans in the pouring rain
Will the 'Yellowstone' finale be the last episode? What we know about Season 6, spinoffs
A strong earthquake shakes Taiwan, damaging buildings and causing a small tsunami
How do you get Taylor Swift's '22' hat? Here's everything we know
California enters spring with vital snowpack above average for a second year