Current:Home > ContactSearch for Madeleine McCann will resume in coming days, say Portuguese police -Prime Capital Blueprint
Search for Madeleine McCann will resume in coming days, say Portuguese police
Chainkeen View
Date:2025-04-06 00:22:48
Portuguese police said they will resume searching for Madeleine McCann, the British toddler who disappeared in the country's Algarve region in 2007, in the next few days.
Portugal's Judicial Police released a statement confirming local media reports that they would conduct the search at the request of the German authorities and in the presence of British officials.
Earlier on Monday, police were seen erecting tents and cordons in an area by the Arade dam, about 50 kilometers (31 miles) from Praia da Luz, where the 3-year-old was last seen alive.
British, Portuguese and German police are still piecing together what happened when the toddler disappeared from her bed in the southern Portuguese resort on May 3, 2007. She was in the same room as her 2-year-old twin brother and sister while her parents had dinner with friends at a nearby restaurant.
In mid-2020, Germany's police identified Christian Brueckner, a 45-year-old German citizen who was in the Algarve in 2007, as a suspect in the case. Brueckner has denied any involvement in Madeleine's disappearance.
The suspect hasn't been charged in the McCann case, in which he is under investigation on suspicion of murder. He spent many years in Portugal, including in the resort of Praia da Luz around the time of Madeleine's disappearance there in 2007. He has denied any involvement in her disappearance.
Last year, a German public prosecutor announced charges against Brueckner "for several sexual offenses he is alleged to have committed in Portugal between Dec. 28, 2000, and June 11, 2017."
"The accused is the same person who is being investigated on suspicion of murder in connection with the disappearance of the then 3-year-old British girl Madeleine Beth McCann from an apartment complex in Praia da Luz in Portugal on May 3, 2007," public prosecutor Hans-Christian Wolters said in October.
veryGood! (49274)
Related
- All That You Wanted to Know About She’s All That
- Johnny Wactor Fatal Shooting: 2 Teenagers Charged With His Murder
- US Justice Department to investigate violence and sexual abuse at Tennessee’s largest prison
- Meghan Markle Shares How Her and Prince Harry’s Daughter Lilibet “Found Her Voice”
- How to watch new prequel series 'Dexter: Original Sin': Premiere date, cast, streaming
- More California schools are banning smartphones, but kids keep bringing them
- PHOTO COLLECTION: Election 2024 Trump
- Taylor Swift Meets With Families Affected by Stabbing Attack at Event in England
- Backstage at New York's Jingle Ball with Jimmy Fallon, 'Queer Eye' and Meghan Trainor
- After months of intense hearings, final report on Lewiston mass shooting to be released
Ranking
- Spooky or not? Some Choa Chu Kang residents say community garden resembles cemetery
- Judge knocks down Hunter Biden’s bid to use Trump ruling to get his federal tax case dismissed
- Ernesto gains strength over open Atlantic. Unrelated downpours in Connecticut lead to rescues
- Georgia election board approves new rules that critics fear could allow certification delays
- Tarte Shape Tape Concealer Sells Once Every 4 Seconds: Get 50% Off Before It's Gone
- 'It's happening': Mike Tyson and Jake Paul meet face to face to promote fight (again)
- Michael Oher, Subject of The Blind Side, Speaks Out on Lawsuit Against Tuohy Family
- GOP-led challenge to voting by mail rejected by New York’s top court
Recommendation
Costco membership growth 'robust,' even amid fee increase: What to know about earnings release
Meghan Markle Shares How Her and Prince Harry’s Daughter Lilibet “Found Her Voice”
Former NFL player accused of urinating on fellow passenger on Dublin flight issues apology
19-year-old arrested as DWI car crash leaves 5 people dead, including 2 children, in Fort Worth: Reports
Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
Wildfire that burned 15 structures near Arizona town was caused by railroad work, investigators say
Georgia governor doubles down on Medicaid program with work requirement despite slow start
Regulators approve plans for new Georgia Power plants driven by rising demand