Current:Home > FinanceBloodstained Parkland building will be razed. Parent says it's 'part of moving forward' -Prime Capital Blueprint
Bloodstained Parkland building will be razed. Parent says it's 'part of moving forward'
NovaQuant Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 18:26:15
The 1200 building at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, has been a lingering reminder of one of the worst mass shootings in U.S. history for more than six years.
The building had remained untouched since 2018 when a gunman killed 14 students and three staff members on Valentine's Day. But after being preserved as evidence for the shooter's trial, crews are set to tear down the three-story building by pieces starting Friday.
The demolition was scheduled to begin Thursday morning but was postponed by heavy rain and flooding. The building, which people who have toured it described as a time capsule with bullet holes and bloodstains still visible, was closed after the shooting and fenced off as crime scene evidence.
Officials said the demolition is expected to take several weeks. School officials have yet to announce what the building will be replaced, with but students, teachers, and families have suggested a permanent memorial be put in place.
Victims’ families were invited to observe the demolition, officials said. They were given a designated viewing area on school grounds.
"The demolition of the building where my daughter Gina and so many others lost their lives is a necessary part of moving forward," Tony Montalto, president of Stand with Parkland, said in a statement to USA TODAY. "Tearing down the 1200 building at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School will not erase the fact that the worst high school shooting in US history occurred here. Seventeen beautiful lives were tragically taken because a multitude of simple school safety procedures were not prioritized."
Other schools have closed and demolished buildings after a mass shooting. After the shooting in 2012, the old Sandy Hook Elementary School was torn down and reopened in 2016. Officials announced in 2022 that they planned to demolish Robb Elementary School in Uvalde, Texas.
6 years after Parkland shooting:School librarian works hard to make her space the safest
Aftermath of Parkland high school shooting
Despite calls to destroy the old freshman building after the shooting, officials ordered it to remain until the gunman's trial ended in 2022.
Prosecutors had jurors take a rare tour of the crime scene. They saw bloodstains on the floor, bullet holes in the walls, fragments of glass from shattered windows, and students' homework and Valentine's Day gifts left behind in the chaos.
The shooter, Nikolas Cruz, was sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole in November 2022. He had been charged with 17 counts of murder.
Family members of the victims were angered and disgusted by the jury's decision. Prosecutors had sought the death penalty, but a death sentence requires a unanimous vote on at least one count under Florida law, The Palm Beach Post, part of the USA TODAY Network, reported at the time.
The building also was used in a reenactment of the shooting last August as part of a civil lawsuit against former Broward County school resource officer Scot Peterson, who was accused of failing to protect students. Ballistic experts used an AR-15-style semiautomatic rifle identical to the one Cruz used.
The lawsuit, which was brought by some of the victims' families, claimed Peterson had neglected his duty by not entering the building or engaging with the gunman. Peterson has said he stayed outside because he was unable to determine where the gunshots were coming from.
In a separate criminal case in June 2023, Peterson was acquitted of 11 counts of child neglect, culpable negligence and perjury.
'Create a space that honors their legacy'
The Parkland shooting sparked a widespread movement over gun control legislation and public safety reform. In the wake of the tragedy, the student-led organization March for Our Lives was created.
March for Our Lives was founded by teens who survived the shooting, and since then, hundreds of demonstrations connected with the organization have taken place across the country. In 2018, more than 1 million people rallied in Washington, D.C. Thousands of people also rallied in 2022 to advocate tighter gun control laws after other mass shootings.
Parkland families also launched an advocacy group called Stand with Parkland in 2018. The national organization said it is committed to pushing for "practical public safety reforms focused on the safety of our children and staff at school, improved mental health support, and responsible firearms ownership."
The organization has worked with state and local officials to raise awareness of school safety and has been instrumental in many bipartisan actions.
"While we can never erase the pain and the memories, we can create a space that honors their legacy and fosters hope for a safer future," Montalto said. "That’s why we fight every day to pass meaningful legislation that keeps our family members safe in their school."
Contributing: Hannah Phillips, Palm Beach Post
veryGood! (315)
Related
- 'As foretold in the prophecy': Elon Musk and internet react as Tesla stock hits $420 all
- Sam Bankman-Fried directed financial crimes and lied about it, FTX co-founder testifies
- Four people are wounded in a shooting on a Vienna street, and police reportedly arrest four suspects
- A 5.9-magnitude earthquake shakes southern Mexico but without immediate reports of damage
- Rylee Arnold Shares a Long
- 'Utterly joyful': John Oliver tells NPR about returning after 5 months off the air
- 4 members of a Florida family are sentenced for selling a fake COVID-19 cure through online church
- Francesca Scorsese Quizzing Dad Martin Scorsese on Modern Slang Is TikTok Magic
- Civic engagement nonprofits say democracy needs support in between big elections. Do funders agree?
- Man Arrested for Alleged Plan to Kidnap and Murder TV Host Holly Willoughby
Ranking
- Alex Murdaugh’s murder appeal cites biased clerk and prejudicial evidence
- Standoff over: Colts, Jonathan Taylor agree to three-year, $42M extension
- After shooting at Morgan State University in Baltimore, police search for 2 suspects
- A nurse is named as the prime suspect in the mysterious death of the Nigerian Afrobeat star Mohbad
- See you latte: Starbucks plans to cut 30% of its menu
- California Gov. Gavin Newsom signs law requiring big businesses to disclose emissions
- Woman opens fire in Connecticut police department lobby, prompting exchange of gunfire with officer between bullet-proof glass
- YNW Melly murder trial delayed after defense attorneys accuse prosecutors of withholding information
Recommendation
The 401(k) millionaires club keeps growing. We'll tell you how to join.
Chiefs star Travis Kelce on Aaron Rodgers' 'Mr. Pfizer' jab: I'm 'comfortable' with it
Chicago-area man charged in connection to Juneteenth party shooting where 1 died and 22 were hurt
Rangers rookie sensation Evan Carter's whirlwind month rolls into ALDS: 'Incredibly cool'
Questlove charts 50 years of SNL musical hits (and misses)
Families say faulty vehicle caused cargo ship fire that killed two New Jersey firefighters
Hong Kong cancels scores of flights as Tropical Storm Koinu draws nearer
McDonald's is bringing back its Boo Buckets for Halloween