Current:Home > InvestLast suspect sought in deadly bus shooting in Philadelphia, police say -Prime Capital Blueprint
Last suspect sought in deadly bus shooting in Philadelphia, police say
Burley Garcia View
Date:2025-04-06 13:49:00
PHILADELPHIA (AP) — Authorities have issued an arrest warrant for a 17-year-old youth who they say is the last of four suspects sought in the shooting that wounded eight Philadelphia high school students at a bus stop last week.
The U.S. Marshals Service, while offering details Tuesday night on the arrest of a third suspect, called on the fourth person to surrender by Wednesday morning, vowing to “aggressively pursue him with every investigative resource available.”
On Wednesday afternoon, federal marshals announced the arrest warrant and a $5,000 reward for information leading to the suspect’s arrest — and also warning that anyone aiding his flight “will be prosecuted to the full extent of the law.”
Federal marshals said the third suspect, 19-year-old Jermahd Carter, had been arrested Tuesday afternoon at a relative’s home. Carter faces charges including attempted murder, aggravated assault, firearms and related counts, with a preliminary hearing scheduled for March 27. His attorney declined comment on the charges Wednesday.
On Monday, officials had announced the arrests of two 18-year-old suspects in the March 6 shooting in northeast Philadelphia, the fourth shooting in four days involving the city’s transit system.
As students at Northeast High School, the city’s largest public high school with more than 3,000 students, were waiting to board the bus, three masked people opened fire, hitting eight teens ranging in age from 15 to 17 years old. All were later listed in stable condition, including a 16-year-old initially said to be critically injured after being hit nine times.
Officials said the recovery of a stolen car involved in the shooting led to the identification of Jamaal Tucker as a suspect, and he turned himself in Friday. On Saturday, federal marshals said they arrested Ahnile Buggs and recovered a loaded and fully automatic .40-caliber Glock that matched casings found at the scene.
Tucker and Buggs also face charges including attempted murder, aggravated assault, and other counts and are being held on more than $2 million bail with preliminary hearings scheduled for March 20. A message was left Monday with Buggs’ attorney. The Defender Association of Philadelphia, representing Tucker, declined comment.
Police were investigating whether the shooting may have been related to the fatal shooting of a 17-year-old charter school student as people boarded a city bus. Four others were injured, including a 70-year-old woman.
Earlier last week, gunfire that erupted at a bus stop in a different part of the city killed a teenager and wounded two other teens as well as two women on a bus. Two men were also killed in different shootings after arguments on buses ended in gunfire.
veryGood! (939)
Related
- McKinsey to pay $650 million after advising opioid maker on how to 'turbocharge' sales
- From Slayer to Tito Puente, drummer Dave Lombardo changes tempo
- Through her grief, an Indian American photographer rediscovers her heritage
- 'Sesame Street' introduces TJ, the show's first Filipino American muppet
- Retirement planning: 3 crucial moves everyone should make before 2025
- Selena Gomez’s Effortless Bronzer Technique Makes Getting Ready So Much Easier
- Goldbergs' AJ Michalka Reveals Why She Has It Easy as Co-Star Hayley Orrantia's Bridesmaid
- Succession Is Ending After Season 4
- Current, future North Carolina governor’s challenge of power
- An unpublished novel by Gabriel García Márquez is set for release next year
Ranking
- Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
- 'We Are A Haunting' is a stunningly original, beautiful novel of devotion
- Isla Bryson, trans woman who transitioned while awaiting trial for rapes, sentenced to prison in Scotland
- Who will win 87,000 bottles of wine? 'Drops of God' is the ultimate taste test
- NFL Week 15 picks straight up and against spread: Bills, Lions put No. 1 seed hopes on line
- UK worker gets $86,000 after manager allegedly trashed bald-headed 50-year-old men
- Kourtney Kardashian's TikTok With Stepson Landon Barker Is a Total Mood
- A man is charged in the 2005 theft of Judy Garland's red 'Wizard of Oz' slippers
Recommendation
Trump wants to turn the clock on daylight saving time
Selena Gomez’s Effortless Bronzer Technique Makes Getting Ready So Much Easier
In graphic memoir 'In Limbo,' a Korean American finds healing and humanity
Transcript: Reps. Mike Gallagher and Raja Krishnamoorthi on Face the Nation, Feb. 26, 2023
This was the average Social Security benefit in 2004, and here's what it is now
What happened 'The Night of the 12th'? A murder remains a mystery in this French film
Alec Baldwin Pleads Not Guilty to Involuntary Manslaughter in Rust Shooting of Halyna Hutchins
Beyoncé's Renaissance tour begins; revisiting house music history with DJ Honey Dijon